WALTHAM, Massachusetts — The Brandeis University volleyball dropped a three-set match against Rivier College, ranked 12th in New England, tonight in Auerbach Arena. Set scores were 25-14, 25-16, 25-22. The Judges fall to 7-16 with the defeat, while the Raiders improve to 26-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was tied at 5-5 early, and the Judges were still within two points at 9-7 after a Jessica Kaufman (Tucson, Ariz./Cienaga) kill.
- Raider sophomore setter Hayley Macken (Clifton Park, N.Y./Shenedowha) rattled off the next nine points on her serve.
- Macken had two aces and four assists in the string that gave the visitors an 18-7 lead en route to a 25-14 set.
- The second set featured a similar script: it was tied at 6 and the Judges were within one at 8-7.
- Rivier rookie Jillian Boyle (North Andover, Mass./North Andover) sparked a 6-0 run on her serve to take a 13-7 advantage, and the Raiders didn't look back, taking the second, 25-16.
- The visitors looked to run away with the third set, opening by scoring 10 of the first 11 points, thanks to a 9-0 run with senior Dana Mott (Medway, Mass./Medway) serving.
- Rivier had three blocks in the run, with senior Lauren Silverman (Chelmsford, Mass./Chelmsford) in on all three.
- The Judges didn't go quietly, chipping away at the lead and eventually tying it at 18-18 thanks to two straight kills and a block by rookie Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury).
- The teams traded points to get to 19-all, but Silverman delivered three straight kills, to put the visitors within two points of victory at 22-19.
- Brandeis's Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colraine) stopped the bleeding with a kill, and a Silverman error made it 22-21.
- A Judge service error stopped the momentum, and the visitors scored the final two points to close it out, 25-22.
FOR THE JUDGES
- Bartlett and Krumpack tied for team-high honors with four kills each. Seven of their eight combined kills came in the third set.
- Junior Jessie Moore (Rye, N.Y./Rye) led Brandeis with three kills in the first two sets.
- Sophomore Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) had 14 assists, while classmate Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Ranch Bernardo) had 11 digs.
FOR THE RAIDERS
- Mott and Silverman led all players with 13 kills each.
- Silverman also had a match-high four blocks (two solo), while Mott led all players with four service aces.
- Macken finished 32 assists and three service aces.
- Junior libero Bethany Trevino (Westminster, Colo./Standley Lake) had a match-high 16 digs.
- Brandeis closes out their home schedule with a tri-match against Johnson and Wales and Babson on Saturday afternoon at 12 and 4 p.m., respectively.
- Rivier hosts Southern Maine on Thursday evening at 7 p.m.