ST. LOUIS, Mo. — The Brandeis University volleyball team dropped its quarterfinal match at the 2016 University Athletic Association championships today as the eighth-seeded Judges (7-19) dropped a 3-0 decision to the top-seeded University of Chicago Maroons (18-9). Set scores were 25-14, 25-14, 25-16. The tournament is being played at Washington University in St. Louis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges never led for the first two sets. They opened the third with a 5-3 run and were still ahead at 9-8 after a kill by sophomore outside hitter Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount).
- At that point, the Maroons scored five straight points and went on to close out the match in three.
FOR THE JUDGES
- Decker-Jacoby finished just short of her second double-double of the season with nine kills and nine digs. She also had the team's only two service aces.
- Rookie OH Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) added six kills.
- Sophomore setters Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) and Leah Pearlman (El Paso, Texas/El Paso) each had 11 assists.
- Sophomore libero Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Ranch Bernardo) added 13 digs.
FOR THE MAROONS
- Sarah Muisenga led all players with 11 kills and made just two errors in 21 attempts for a .429 hitting percentage.
- Erin Risk had 32 assists, while libero Mary-Claire Tuohy had 15 digs.
- The Maroons also had four team blocks to just two for the Judges.
- The Judges will take on the University of Rochester in the consolation semifinals later tonight at 7 p.m. Eastern/6 Central.