ST. LOUIS, Mo. — The Brandeis University volleyball team will play for seventh place tomorrow morning at the University Athletic Association championships. The Judges dropped their consolation semifinal match tonight against the University of Rochester, 3-0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-19). The tournament is being played at Washington University in St. Louis.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges had a chance to take an early lead in the match when they went up 7-2 in the first set after back-to-back Rochester errors with senior Jessica Kaufman (Tucson, Ariz./Cienaga) serving.
- After the Yellowjackets called timeout, they scored seven of the next nine points to tie the match at 9-all.
- After the squads traded points, the Judges' net defense gave them another five-point lead, as Kaufman had two assists and a solo block in quick succession to give Brandeis a 15-10 advantage.
- UR answered with a 6-1 run to tie the set at 16-all. After the squads traded points, a 3-0 string gave Rochester the lead for good at 20-18.
- The 'Jackets led, 24-20 before Brandeis battled back after a timeout. UR had a service error out and an attack error out of the timeout, and sophomore libero Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Ranch Bernardo) had a service ace to cut the lead to 24-23, but UR's Alexandra Goldman finished off the set.
- The Yellowjackets jumped out early in the second set, with leads of 6-1 and 9-3.
- Brandeis answered with a 6-2 run of their own to get within 11-9 on a Jessie Moore (Rye, N.Y./Rye) kill, then made it 14-13 on one by rookie Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury).
- The Judges could never get over the hump, though, as UR held them off for the 25-21 win in the second.
- Rochester never trailed in the third set, scoring the first three points and eventually leading by 10-5 early on a Sarah Apanavicius ace.
- A UR error gave the ball back to the Judges, and Cho served three points in a row to get Brandeis with in one at 10-9. Rochester answered and the Yellowjackets were able to score three point to every one for the Judges.
- Brandeis was down to match point at 24-14 before rattling off a five-point run, mainly on UR errors, before the 'Jackets finished off the match, 25-19.
FOR THE JUDGES
- Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount) led the Judges for the second match in a row with eight kills, while Bartlett added five.
- The Judges finished with a season-high 10 blocks – five each from Kaufman (one solo) and Kirsten Frauens (Webster, N.Y./Webster Schroeder) who had all assists. Moore also had four block assists.
- Cho had 13 digs and four assists. Sophomore Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) added 11 assists to lead the team.
FOR THE YELLOWJACKETS
- Three Rochester players finished with double-digit kills – Alara Kocak (14), Alexandra Goldman (13) and Clara Martinez (10).
- Aimee Kohler added 38 assists, while Nina Baek had 10 digs.
- The Judges will close out their season tomorrow at 10 a.m. against NYU in the UAA seventh-place match.