FROSTBURG, Maryland – The Brandeis University volleyball team survived a five-set challenge tonight in the quarterfinals of the ECAC Division III tournament against Bethany (W. Va.) College.
The Judges won the first two sets narrowly, 25-23 in the first and a 33-31 marathon in the second. Brandeis served for the set five times, while facing two set points against before rattling off the final three points to take the second.
The Bison rallied to take the third, 25-18 and the fourth, 25-21. The Judges jumped out to a 6-2 lead in the fifth and closed on a 7-0 run after Bethany closed to within 8-6 to take it 15-6.
Brandeis improves to 17-14 , while Bethany's season ends with a 23-13 record.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE - BRANDEIS
- The Judges produced four double-double performances.
- Junior Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif. / Marymount) led the offensive charge with 14 kills while adding 20 digs. It was her fourth 10-20 performance of the season. Decker-Jacoby had the set-winning kill in the key second-set win.
- Rookie Clare Meyers (Richfield, Wisc. / Slinger) added her second double-double of the campaign and first since the season opener with 11 kills and 16 digs.
- Rookie Marissa Borgert (Blaine, Minn. / Spring Lake Park) stuffed the stat sheet with 21 assists and 10 digs, while also adding six kills and five blocks.
- Junior Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton Collegiate Prep) led the Judges with 23 assists and a career-high 21 digs. She also had two service aces to lead the Judges.
- Junior libero Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo) established a new career-high with 48 digs, moving into Brandeis's career top five in the process with 1,450.
- The Judges also got 10 points each from junior Zara Platt (Fountain Valley, Calif. / Fountain Valley), who had 10 kills and three block assists, and sophomore Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), who had nine kills and seven blocks (two solo, five assists).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE - BETHANY
- The Bison had a match-high performance in kills from Katie Sparks, who had 17. Lindsey Llewellyn added 10 kills.
- Jenna Scott led all players with 39 assists.
- Five different Bison players had 20 or more digs, paced by Reilly Parker's 32.
- The Judges meet the winner of the last quarterfinal of the night between John Jay and FDU-Florham tomorrow at noon in the ECAC tournament semifinals.
- Brandeis is in search of their third all-time ECAC crown, having won New England titles in 2006 and 2007.