LEWISTON, Maine – The Brandeis University volleyball team dropped a couple of narrow sets in their opener against host Bates College, falling in four, but the Judges bounced back with a three-set win over Colby in Bates's Alumni Gymnasium today. Brandeis is now 7-5 on the season, while Bates improves to 5-3 and Colby falls to 3-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED, COLBY (25-14, 25-10, 25-23)
- In the second match of the day for the Judges, they rolled past the Colby College Mules in three sets. Brandeis outhit the Mules, .209 to .080, including .381 to .030 in the second set.
- Junior Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) continued her fine play with 10 kills and just one error in 21 attempts for a .429 hitting percentage.
- Senior Kirsten Frauens (Webster, N.Y. / Webster Schroeder) and rookie Kaisa Newberg (Reno, Nev. / Sage Ridge School) each hit above .300 as well (6 K-0 E-19 TA, .316 and 4 K-1 E-8 TA, .375, respectively).
- Sophomore Marissa Borgert (Blaine, Minn. / Spring Lake Park) served as the team's setter, dishing out 29 assists, her second-best total of the season.
- Rookie Kaitlyn Oh (Santa Clara, Calif. / Cupertino) paced the defensive effort with 18 digs, while senior Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo) had 11.
HOW IT HAPPENED, BATES (25-13, 20-25, 25-27, 25-27)
- The Judges opened the day strong against the host Bobcats, with a 25-13 set that saw them hit .196 (15 K-5 E-51 TA) to -.080 (5 K-9 E-50 TA).
- Bates rallied in the second set with a .333 percentage (16 K-4 E-36 TA), taking a 25-20 decision to even the match.
- The home team hit better than .250 in each of the following sets, edging Brandeis 27-25 in both to take the win.
- Bartlett paced the offense again with 14 kills, adding four block assists as well.
- Senior Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount) added 12 kills and had 10 digs for her first double-double of the season.
- Borgert play an attacking position in this match and had 11 kills.
- Oh led five players in double figures in digs with 19, followed just behind by Cho with 17. Rookie Stephanie Borr (Westfield, N.J./Westfield) had 11 and senior Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colraine) matched Decker-Jacoby with 10.
- Senior Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) set for the opener and finished with 33 assists.
- Rookie Emerson White (Lexington, Ky. / Sayre) finished with seven kills and a career-high five blocks (two solo).
- The Judges meet Roger Williams next Tuesday at 7 p.m. before returning home for the first University Athletic Association Round Robin on Sept. 29-30.