WINTER PARK, Fla. – The Brandeis University baseball team matched their scoring output from their first two games today as the Judges completed a three-game sweep of St. Joseph's (Brooklyn) with an 8-2 victory in Chain O' Lakes Park in Winter Park, Fla., as part of the Russ Matt Classic.
In their first season under head coach Derek Carlson '91, the Judges improve to 3-0 for the first time since 2008 with the win. SJC falls to 0-5.
FOR THE JUDGES - HITTERS
- The Judges, who had eight runs on 18 hits in their first two games combined scored eight times on 14 hits today.
- Seven of nine starters had hits, with four multiple hitters, while six different players drove in runs.
- Leading the way was senior 1B Greg Heineman (Wilbraham, Mass./Minnechaug Regional), who went 3-for-4 with a double. He produced four of the team's eight runs with two RBI and two runs scored. His single drove in two runs in the Judges' 4-run seventh inning. Heineman also stole a base.
- Senior CF Liam O'Connor (Avon, Conn./Avon) went 3-for-4 with an RBI, two runs scored and two stolen bases out of the leadoff spot.
- Junior SS Jay Schaff (Cheshire, Conn. / Xavier) went 3-for-4 with an RBI in his first collegiate start.
- Rookie 2B Benjamin Bavly (Newton, Mass./Newton South) was 3-for-5 with an RBI triple and a run scored in the fifth inning.
FOR THE JUDGES - PITCHERS
- Senior Sam Miller (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury) went 5.2 innings and allowed just one hit with two strikeouts.
- Miller faced just one batter over the minimum, retiring 15 in a row after a two-out single in the first inning.
- He improved to 1-0 on the season and 7-3 for his career.
- Rookie Daniel Schupper (Villanova, Pa. / Harriton) tossed the next 2.1 innings, allowing three hits and one earned run with one strikeout.
- O'Connor tossed the ninth inning, giving up a run on two hits. It was his first career pitching appearance.
FOR THE BEARS
- St. Joseph's finished with two runs on six hits – all singles.
- Catcher Nicholas LoPrinzi was the only Bear with two hits. He also had one of the team's two RBI.
- Rosario DiLorenzo suffered the loss with seven hits and four runs allowed over the first six innings. He struck out five and did not walk a batter, but did hit three Judges with pitches.
- Brandeis is off until early March when they will head back to Florida for the final University Athletic Association tournament. The Judges open on Sunday, March 6, against Case Western Reserve.