WALTHAM, Mass. – Junior transfer Bryant Nardizzi (Framingham, Mass./Framingham), notched a goal and an assist tonight to lead the Brandeis University men's soccer team past visiting Springfield College, 2-0, on Gordon Field. Playing in their home opener, the Judges – ranked fourth in Division III in the preseason – improve to 2-1 on the year, while the Pride suffer their first loss to fall to 2-1 as well.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half was relatively quiet, with Brandeis owning a 4-2 lead in shots taken, but Springfield landing the only shot on goal.
- The Judges broke through in the 55th minute. After a throw-in from the right flank, junior Max Breiter (Lincoln, Mass. / Lawrence Acad.) turned and sent a cross towards the net. Springfield keeper Stewart Frank redirected it on to the foot of Nardizzi, who blasted it home for his second goal of the season.
- The Judges added an insurance goal in the 87th minute, with Nardizzi starting the play from the left side. His indirect kick into the box was headed away by a Pride defender, but right on the foot of junior back Stephen DePietto (Westbury, N.Y. / Berkshire School), who blasted it home from the top of the 18 for his first goal of the season and the third of his career.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis junior goalie Greg Irwin (Passaic, N.J. / Seton Hall Prep) had two saves to record his second shutout of the season and third of his career.
- His best save came in the final minute of play against SC's Freddie Clark.
- Springfield's Frank had two saves in the losing effort.
- Brandeis has won six in a row in the series, though this was the first meeting between the two sides since 2012.
- Brandeis renews its oldest rivalry on Saturday when they travel to Babson to take on the Beavers for the 66th time. Game time is 1 p.m.
- Springfield is at Westfield State at 12 noon on Saturday.