WOMEN: Brandeis 131.5, Merrimack 129.5
Brandeis 225, Maine Maritime 25
MEN: Brandeis 110, Maine Maritime 78
WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University swimming and diving teams picked up three wins today between them. The Judges rolled past Maine Maritime, with the men winning each race in a 110-78 and the women taking a 225-25 decision. In the most hotly-contested meet of the day, the women edged Merrimack College, 131.5 to 129.5.
TOP PERFORMERS: WOMEN
- The women won seven of 15 events, just enough to give them the win over Merrimack.
- Leading the way was senior Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay), who won two freestyle races. She took the 200 with a time of 2:04.81, winning by just over three-tenths of a second, and the 500 with a mark of 5:37.12, good for a margin of 1.5 seconds.
- Rookie Olivia Stebbins (Willington, Conn./Edwin O. Smith) swept the breaststroke events. She took the 50 by seventh-hundredths of a second, 34.12 to 34.19, and the 100 by closer to two seconds with a time of 1:12.34.
- Classmate Gazelle Umbay (North Hills, Calif./Sierra Canyon) captured the 100 butterfly with a mark of 1:04.04, winning by 0.64 seconds. She was also second in the 500 free to Herman in 5:38.67 and third in the 50 fly in 29.38.
- Rookie Claire Xu (East Hanover, N.J. / Newark Academy) picked a win in the 200 IM with a time of 2:19.57, winning by 3.5 seconds over sophomore Annie Huang (Chapel Hill, N.C./East Chapel Hill). Xu also finished third in the 50 back (30.22) and100 back (1:04.81).
- In relay action, Xu, Stebbins, Umbay and rookie Lauren Howard (Abington, Mass. / Cardinal Spellman) win the 200 yard medley relay in 1:56.35 by a margin of seven-tenths of a second.
TOP PERFORMERS: MEN
- The Judges had little problem with Maine Maritime, winning all 15 events handily.
- Junior Justin Weissberg (Long Beach, N.Y. / Long Beach) matched Herman by winning the 200 and 500 freestyle races. He won the 200 in 1:56.75 and the 500 in 5:14.95.
- Rookie Brendon Lu (Basking Ridge, N.J./Basking Ridge) took the 1000 free with a time of 10:28.48 and was second in the 500 in 5:15.24.
- Junior Matthew Arcemont (Santa Ana, Calif./Mater Dei) swept the 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke with times of 55.25 seconds and 57.76 seconds, respectively.
- Rookie Jonathan Ayash (Newton, Mass./Newton South) had a fine performance in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:11.89 and in the 200 IM with a mark of 2:22.51.
- Classmate Ian Smith (Barrington, R.I./Barrington) raced to times of 28.66 in the 50 back and 1:01.53 in the 100 fly.
- Smith, junior Junhan Lee (Peachtree City, Ga./Stars Mill), sophomore Benjamin Francis (Brooklyn, N.Y./Brooklyn Friends) and rookie Benton Ferebee (Germantown, Tenn./Memphis University School) took the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:49.77.
- The Judges swim next Saturday in a trimeet with Keene State and Bridgewater State at BSU.