ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The Brandeis softball team suffered their second loss of the University Athletic Association (UAA) tournament today, as the Judges dropped an 11-2 decision to #4-ranked Emory. The Judges sit in a tie for second place in the UAA at the midway point of the tournament, with a 3-2 record in the conference, 5-5 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ten of Emory's 11 runs came on four home runs.
- Janelle Turnquist hit her tournament-leading fourth blast in the first inning, a three-run shot that put the Eagles ahead, 4-0.
- Lana Herman hit a solo shot in the second after the Judges scored once in the top of the frame.
- Ashley Powers and Melody Carter each hit three-run blasts in the third and fourth innings, respectively.
- Brandeis scored on an infield grounder in the top of the second by rookie Marissa DeLaurentis (Centereach, N.Y. / St. John the Baptist Diocesesan) that scored senior Madison Sullivan (Dover, N.H./Dover), who had doubled to lead off the inning.
- In the third, the Judges loaded the bases with one out, and junior Madison Hunter (Parker, Colo./Legend) singled back to the circle to drive in rookie Keri Lehtonen (Oneco, Conn. / Plainfield). The Judges couldn't push another run across and eventually succumbed to the 10-run rule.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lehtonen had her second-straight two-hit game and has hit safely in four of the Judges' five tournament contests.
- Sullivan's double was her fourth in the UAA – a league-high – and her fifth overall.
- Hunter's RBI was her team-leading ninth of the season and fifth in the UAA – tied with Sullivan for fourth in the conference.
- Junior Melissa Soleimani (Somerset, Mass. / Somerset Berkley Regional) suffered the loss in the circle for Brandeis, falling to 2-3 after working one-plus inning.
- Sophomore Sadie-Rose Apfel (Stamford, Conn. / Westhill) worked the final three innings.
- Brandeis starts the second half of Association play against #2 Washington University tomorrow at 10 a.m. and the University of Rochester at 1 p.m.
- The Judges, who are tied with WashU for second in the UAA standings suffered a 10-2 loss to the Bears in the first meeting.
- Brandeis bounced back with a 10-1 win over UR the same day.
For more information on Brandeis Athletics, please visit brandeisjudges.com or follow us on Twitter or Instagram @brandeisjudges, or follow us on Facebook.
- 30 -