BOSTON, Mass. – The Brandeis University women's basketball team used a terrific defensive effort in the fourth quarter tonight to defeat Emmanuel College, 66-55, in the Jean E Yawkey Center tonight. The Judges improve to 3-1 on the season, while the Saints fall to 1-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges trailed after each of the first three quarters, though they always stayed within shouting distance. Emmanuel led 10-9 after one and 27-23 at halftime.
- After an even third period that was tied at 21-21, the Judges trailed 48-44. Brandeis' played their best defensive quarter of the night, holding EC to just 2-for-15 from the field (13%) while forcing four turnovers.
- Brandeis held Emmanuel to just two free throws over the first seven-and-a-half minutes of the final period.
- The Judges connected on 7-of-17 (41%) on their own and hit 64% from the line (7-11) to keep the Saints at bay.
- Rookie Jillian Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) and sophomore Katie Goncalo (Fall River, Mass./Tabor Academy) combined for 29 points and 13 rebounds.
- Petrie had 16 points and eight boards, while Goncalo had 13 points and five caroms, plus a four assists.
- Sophomore Hannah Nicholson (Sunderland, Vt./Burr and Burton Academy) tied for game-high honors with 11 rebounds.
- Rookie guard Camila Casanueva (Santa Barbara, Calif. / Dos Pueblos) notched a career-best five assists, tied for game-high.
- Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda topped the home team with a double-double of 21 points and 11 rebounds. She also had four steals.
- No other EC player had more than seven points or five rebounds
- Alisha Fox added five assists to match Casanueva.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis outrebounded Emmanuel, 50-38, offsetting a 29-21 turnover deficit.
- The Judges outscored EC, 14-6, from the free throw line.
- Both teams struggled from 3-point range, combining for 7-for-34 shooting.
- Brandeis returns to action the Sunday after Thanksgiving with a showdown against the D3hoops.com preseason number 1 team, Tufts, at 1 p.m.