WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University basketball team put four players in double figures in scoring tonight as the Judges defeated Rivier College, 81-66, in the opening round of the Brandeis Tip-Off Tournament, presented by the Park Lodge Hotel Group. The Judges improve to 1-0 on the season and play in tomorrow's championship game at 2 p.m., while the Raiders fall to 0-4 and play in the 12 p.m. consolation game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Judges rolled to a 25-14 lead after one quarter and extended their advantage to 46-30 at halftime.
- The Raiders outscored the Judges, 36-35, in the second half, but it wasn't enough to overcome the 27-point lead that Brandeis built early in the third quarter.
- Brandeis controlled the glass, outrebounding Rivier, 61-33. The Judges had 25 offensive rebounds, compared to just eight for the Raiders, enabling them to overcome 35.4 percent shooting from the floor (28-79).
- The hosts also hit 11 3-pointers at a 40.7% clip, compared to 6 trifectas and 25% from beyond the arc for Rivier.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Leading the way for the Judges was senior Sarah Jaromin (E. Greenbush, N.Y./Columbia). Making her second career start, Jaromin recorded career- and team-highs with 19 points and 11 rebounds.
- Jaromin scored 18 of her 19 points in the first half, connecting on 5-of-7 from beyond the arc. She had nine points in each of the first two quarters, while pulling down six rebounds in the first half and five in the second.
- Sophomore Camila Casanueva (Santa Barbara, Calif./Dos Pueblos) finished second on the team in scoring with 16 points, 12 coming in the second half. She also pulled down seven rebounds and had a team-high four assists.
- Rookie forward Maya Burris (San Francisco, Calif. / Loomis Chaffee) tallied 12 points off the bench in just 11 minutes of action, hitting 5-of-9 from the field and a pair of free throws. She grabbed seven rebounds.
- Fellow rookie Shannon Smally (Foxborough, Mass./Foxborough) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 10 points in her collegiate debut.
- Junior Amber Graves (La Cañada, Calif./La Cañada) set a career-high with 10 rebounds off the bench, including a game-high six on the offensive glass.
- Rivier's Megan Hamel led all scorers with 22 points in the game, hitting 7-of-14 from the field, 2-of-3 from deep and 6-of-7 from the line. She also had a team-high eight rebounds.
- Kaylee Kacavas added 19 points with five boards and five assists for the Raiders, while Elizabeth Meehan led all players with six assists.
- Brandeis will take on Western Connecticut State University in tomorrow's championship game at 2 p.m.
- Rivier will meet Husson University in the 12 p.m. consolation game.
- WCSU defeated Husson, 95-92, in the second game of the doubleheader. The Colonials overcame a 17-point second-half deficit as Jancy Sherwood hit three free throws with just over 40 seconds left in regulation to put her team ahead.