WORCESTER, Mass. – The Brandeis University swimming and diving team competed in a series of dual meets at WPI on Friday evening. The Judges earned three wins on the night – the women defeated Babson, 176-95, and Smith, 154-135, while the men topped the Beavers, 150-134. Both squads lost to host WPI – 174-103 for the women and 190-108 for the men.
TOP PERFORMERS - MEN
- Rookie Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) led the way for the men with three victories. He captured the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 54.82; the 100 butterfly in 52.54 seconds; and the 200 individual medley in 2:02.76.
- Brother Edan Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset), a senior, added a win in the 200 fly (2:03.00) and two third-place finishes in the 200 back (2:04.67) and the 200 IM (2:02.76).
- The Judges had a pair of second-place finishes. Junior Sam Zucker (Omaha, Neb./Anderson) was runner-up in the three-meter diving event with a score of 210.60, while rookie Noah Ayers (San Diego, Calif./Torrey Pines) was second in the 500 freestyle (5:01.71).
- Taking third place in the 1000 freestyle was junior Zach Diamond (Staten Island, N.Y./Staten Island Acad.).
TOP PERFORMERS – WOMEN
- The Brandeis women had four victories.
- Rookie Philippa Zheku (Woburn, Mass./Woburn Memorial) swept the backstroke events, taking the 100 in 1:03.10 and the 200 in 2:16.91. Zheku also had a third-place performance in the 200 IM in 2:23.43.
- Sophomore Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay) captured the 1000 free in 11:01.48. She also turned in second-place performances in the 200 fly (2:19.82) and the 100 free (56.15 seconds).
- Rookie Natalya Wozab (Plantation, Fla./St Thomas Aquinas) rounded out the winners by taking the 200 IM in 2:19.88. She was second in the 200 breaststroke in 2:38.04 and third in the 100 breaststroke in 1:13.06.
- Rookie Hwanhee Park (Cumberland, Maine/Greely) placed second in the 100 butterfly with a time of 1:02.37.
- The Judges play host to cross-town rivals Bentley University on Friday, Nov. 18 at 6 p.m.