WORCESTER, Mass. - The Brandeis University swimming and diving team competed in the Gompei Invitational at WPI this past weekend. The Judges finished in 9th place out the 13, scoring 1005.5 total points for the invitational.
TOP PERFORMERS - MEN
- Freshman sensation Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) started rewriting the record book this weekend as he finished 1st place in the 200 yard backstroke and 2nd place in the 100 yard backstroke. On Sunday morning in the preliminary event for the 100 yard backstroke, Zitelny broke Nick Pai's 2002 record with a time of 51.31. Later that day, he went on to break his newly set record to finish 2nd in the finals with a time of 50.88. Zitelny also broke a 14-year old Brandeis record in the 200 yard backstroke with a 1st place finish and time of 1:52.17.
- Junior Zach Diamond (Staten Island, N.Y./Staten Island Acaemy) has himself a nice weekend. Diamond finished 11th in the 100 yard IM with a time of 56.68 and a 13th place finish in the 400 yard IM with a time of 4:20.96. Diamond was also a part of the 12th place finishing men's 800 yard freestyle relay team that included Taku Harada (Henrico, Va./Mills E. Godwin), Noah Ayers (San Diego, Calif./Torrey Pines), and Cameron Braz (Monson, Mass./Monson). The team logged an impressive time of 7:13.36.
- Senior Eb Weber (Murray, Ky./Murray) swam a lifetime best 50 yard backstroke time of 25.52 to lead off his team medley relay.
- Junior Taku Harada swam a lifetime best 2:03.44 in the 200 yard IM and his school best 200 yard backstroke time of 2:03.83
- Freshman Jake Avery (Harwich Port, Mass./Nauset Regional) swam a lifetime best 2:22.78 in the 200 yard breaststroke
TOP PERFORMERS - WOMEN
- Freshman Natalya Wozab (Plantation, Fla./Saint Thomas Aquinas) took 3rd place in the 100 yard IM with a time of 1:02.71. Her performance broke her previous best time of 1:04.70 set earlier this season in a meet against Bentley University. Her 3rd place finish was just 0.16 seconds off of the school record held by former All-American Maya Marx. Wozab's times in the 200 and 100 yard breastroke puts her 6th and 10th all time, respetively, in school history.
- Freshman Hwanhee Park (Cumberland, Me./Greely) led the women's 800 yard freestyle relay team to their best swim of the season with a time of 8:13.48. Park swam a 1:59.88 200 yard freestyle, the 7th fastest split in women's team history. Park was joined by teammates Philippa Zheku (Woburn, Mass./Woburn Memorial), Fallon Katz (Sarasota, Fla./Pine View), and Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay).
- Freshmen Mia Dorris (Boulder, Colo./Boulder) and Yvette Smith (Gainesville, Fla./Gainesville) both swam lifetime bests in the 50 yard freestlye with times of 25.81 and 25.71, respectively.
- Freshman Fallon Katz chopped 15 seconds off of her school best time in the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 5:45.50.
- Sophomore Sabrina Greer (Greensboro, N.C./Greensboro Day School) swam a lifetime best 1:05.28 in the 100 yard backstroke.
- Freshman Philippa Zheku's time of 2:13.29 in the 200 yard backstroke was the 3rd fastest in school history, just five seconds off of the all time leader, Angela Chui
- Freshman Rose Freudberg (Newton, Mass./Newton South) completed her first 11 dive format on both 1 meter and 3 meter boards.
The Judges travel to Waterville, Me. to take on the Mules of Colby College next weekend.