KINGSTON, R.I. – Competing at the New England Intercollegiate Swimming and Diving Association (NEISDA) championships for the first time in a decade, the Brandeis swimming and diving team set several school records and won three individual titles. The Brandeis men scored 563 points to finish in third place, while the women tallied 785 points and placed fourth overall in the team standings.
LINK: DAY 1-2 RECAP
DAY 3-4 HIGHLIGHTS
TAMIR ZITELNY SHINES FOR MEN
- Rookie Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) continued his terrific rookie season on Days 3 and 4, winning two more races, setting two individual and one relay school record and reaching an NCAA standard in the process.
- After claiming the 200-yard backstroke on Day 2, he added a win in the 100 back on Day 3 with a time of 50.61 seconds, a margin of nearly one full second. The time also broke a meet record that had stood since 1998.
- He wrapped up his meet with a third school record, this time in the 200 butterfly, with a mark of 1:52.74. Zitelny passed his first career NCAA 'B' cut by 15-hundredths of a second.
- He also teamed with junior Richard Avrutsky (Needham, Mass. / Needham), senior and brother Edan Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) and senior Cameron Braz (Monson, Mass./Monson) for a school record in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:35.92.
WOMEN RECORD THREE SECOND-PLACE FINISHES
- Three Brandeis women had runner-up performances during the second half of the meet
- Sophomore Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay)came in second in the the 200 butterfly with a mark of 2:12.67, less than two seconds off school-record pace.
- Junior Amy Sheinhait (Framingham, Mass./Framingham) was runner-up in the 50 backstroke with a time of 28.05, just short of her own school record.
- Rookie Natalya Wozab (Plantation, Fla. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) was second in 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:30.74.
- Herman also placed fourth in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:48.18.
- Wozab also turned in a third-place finish in the 100 IM with a time of 1:02.09.
MEN'S 50 AND 100 BACK
- In addition to Tamir Zitelny, Brandeis had two other top-eight finishers in the 100 backstroke.
- Brother Edan was fifth with a time of 54.47 seconds.
- Rookie Tom Alger (Plymouth, Mass. / Sacred Heart) was seventh in 55.88 seconds.
- In the 50 back, rookie Daniel Haid (Robbins, N.C. / International School of Lausanne) was the runner-up with a time of 25.32 seconds, while Alger was fourth in 25.97 seconds.
WOMEN'S 50 FLY
- In the women's 50-yard butterfly, the Judges had two rookie swimmers lower the school record.
- Yvette Smith (Gainesville, Fla./Gainesville) will enter the record book with a 3rd-place finish of 27.08 seconds.
- Hwanhee Park (Cumberland, Maine/Greeley) took eighth place with a time of 27.93 seconds.
OTHER TOP FINISHERS
- Edan Zitelny – 100 IM – 54.45
- Matthew Arcemont – 400 IM – 4:17.46
- Eb Weber – 50 fly – 24.02
- Richard Avrutsky – 100 breast – 1:00.84
- Cameron Braz – 100 free – 48.04
- Yvette Smith – 100 IM - 1:03.90
- Daniel Haid –50 fly – 24.29
- Taku Harada –200 free – 1:48.90
- Richard Avrutsky –200 breast – 2:17.39
- Hwanhee Park – 200 fly – 2:19.60
- Philippa Zheku –100 back – 1:02.39