BRIDGEWATER, Mass. – The Brandeis University swimming and diving teams secured three of four wins today in a double dual meet at Bridgewater State with Keene State. The men swept their two opponents, defeating KSC, 152-70, and BSU, 143-79. The women defeated Bridgewater State, 131-98, but were edged by Keene State, 114-108. The Brandeis men improve to 5-5 on the season, while the women are now 5-8.
TOP PERFORMERS, MEN
- The men won all nine individual swimming events, with the other two teams claiming wins in diving and relays.
- Sophomore Richard Selznick (Las Vegas, Nev./Palos Verdes) won a pair of distance events, taking the 1000-yard freestyle by 33 seconds with a time of 10:15.99, and the 500 free by a margin of 11 seconds with a time of 4:59.58. Selznick also took second in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:05.46.
- Sophomore Daniel Wohl (Chapel Hill, N.C./East Chapel Hill) captured a pair of freestyle sprints, taking the 50 in 22.83 seconds by a margin of eight-hundredths of a second, and the 200 in 1:46.27 by just a shade under six seconds.
- Sophomore Marcelo Ohno-Machado (San Diego, Calif. / Torrey Pines) completed a freestyle sweep by winning the 100 in 49.70 seconds. He was also second to Wohl in the 200.
- Rookie Brendon Lu (Basking Ridge, N.J./ Ridge) showed off his versatility with a four-and-a-half second win in the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:05.17, and the 200 breaststroke by 0.16 seconds with a time of 2:16.23.
- Rounding out the winners were junior Matthew Arcemont (Santa Ana, Calif. / Mater Dei), who took the 200 individual medley in 2:03.32 and was second in the 100 free, and junior Tamir Zitelny (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset), who captured the 200 backstroke in 1:58.65, bettering his previous best of the season by 10 seconds.
- The Judges also won the 200-yard freestyle relay as the team of Ohno-Machado, Zitelny, Wohl and rookie Benton Ferebee (Germantown, Tenn. / Memphis University School) won by about two seconds with a time of 1:30.33.
TOP PERFORMERS, WOMEN
- On the women's side, there were two individual winners and one relay victory.
- Rookie Abbie Etzweiler (Malvern, Pa. / Great Valley) captured the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 11:50.87. She won the race by just over a second and took six seconds off her collegiate best. She was also third in the 500 free with a time of 5:50.92.
- Classmate Claire Xu (East Hanover, N.J./Newark Academy) claimed the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:17.18, winning by more than three seconds. Xu was second in the 200 backstroke in 2:19.14.
- The Judges also closed out the meet with a win in the 200 free relay, with the team of sophomores Audrey Kim (Livingston, N.J./Livingston), Uajda Musaku (Winthrop, Mass./Winthrop), Annie Huang (Chapel Hill, N.C./East Chapel Hill) and senior Kylie Herman (Weston, Fla./Cypress Bay) won by more than two seconds with a time of 1:44.89.