WALTHAM, Mass. – The Brandeis University volleyball team had their chances in a marathon second set, but the Judges were unable to defeat visiting UMass Boston in a 3-0 match in Red Auerbach Arena today. Set scores were 25-15, 36-34, 25-19. The Judges fall to 11-16 on the season, while the Beacons improve to 17-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UMass Boston never trailed in the first set, jumping out to a 16-6 lead and never looking back en route to the 25-15 win.
- The second set was Brandeis's longest of the season. The Judges were ahead 15-10 at one point, but the Beacons at 23. The lead went back and forth, with eight set points going by before the visitors claimed the 36-34 win.
- UMB took an early 4-2 lead in the third set. Brandeis tied it several times, the latest at 9-9, but the visitors went on an 8-3 run to make it 17-12 and kept the Judges at bay, taking the set, 25-19.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brandeis got nine kills from junior Emma Barlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) and eight from senior Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount).
- Sophomore Marissa Borgert (Blaine, Minn./Spring Lake Park) distributed 16 assists, while senior Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) added 10.
- The Judges used a balanced defense, with seven different players registering multiple digs. Rookie Kaitlyn Oh (Santa Clara, Calif./Cupertino) had seven, while senior Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colerain) and Decker-Jacoby each had five.
- UMB got double-digits in kills from senior Eileen Shi (San Francisco, Calif./Lowell, Calif.), who had 13, and junior Sarah Doyle (Glendale, Calif./Bishop Alemany), who had 12 with only one error in 17 attempts for a .647 hitting percentage.
- Senior Christine Elliott (Camas, Wash./Camas) had 19 assists, while classmate Macayla Chianco (Clearwater, Fla./Dunedin) had 17 digs.
- Prior to the match, the Judges honored their eight seniors who made their final regular-season appearance at Red Auerbach Arena
- Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colerain)
- Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount)
- Yvette Cho (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo)
- Leah Pearlman (El Paso, Texas/El Paso)
- Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep)
- Zara Platt (Fountain Valley, Calif./Fountain Valley)
- Kirsten Frauens (Webster, N.Y./Webster Schroeder)
- Jillian Haberli (Cheshire, Conn./Cheshire)
- Brandeis heads to the University Athletic Association tournament next weekend at the University of Rochester. The Judges take on top-seeded Emory University Friday, Nov. 2, at 12 noon.