ROCHESTER, N.Y. – The Brandeis University volleyball team pushed 11th-ranked Emory today in their quarterfinal match at the University Athletic Association tournament hosted by the University of Rochester, but the Judges eventually dropped a 3-0 decision to the Eagles. Set scores were 25-23, 25-24, 25-23. The Judges fall to 11-17 on the season and top-seeded Emory improves to 22-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED (25-24, 25-14, 25-22)
- The Judges scored the first three points of the match and hung with the Eagles for the remainder of the first set. Emory opened up a three-point lead at 15-12, but the Judges responded with a 5-0 run of their own thanks to a pair of kills from senior Shea Decker-Jacoby (Los Angeles, Calif./Marymount) to take a 17-15 lead.
- Emory called timeout and scored the next two points to even the score at 17-all, but an Eagle service error and a block by junior Emma Bartlett (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) and senior Kirsten Frauens (Webster, N.Y./Webster-Schroeder) pushed the lead back to 19-17.
- Brandeis maintained the lead until 22-21, when the Eagles ran off four of the last five points of the match to take the first set, 25-23.
- In the second set, the teams traded points until 10-10. Emory then ran off nine in a row and never looked back, taking it 25-14.
- In the third set, the Judges broke a 5-5 tie with four-straight points, the last two on service aces by rookie Kaitlyn Oh (Santa Clara, Calif./Cupertino) to go ahead, 9-4.
- Once again the Judges were ahead or within one point of the lead until the latter stages of the set. With the score 21-20 in favor of Brandeis, Emory closed on a 5-1 run to complete the sweep, 25-22.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Bartlett led the Judges with seven kills, making just one error in 19 chances for a .316 hitting percentage.
- Decker-Jacoby and sophomore Marissa Borgert (Blaine, Minn./Spring Lake Park) had five kills each.
- Brandeis out-blocked the Eagles, 8-5, with Frauens posting six block assists and Bartlett finishing with five.
- Borgert led the Judges with 14 assists, while senior Marlee Nork (Chicago, Ill./Walter Payton College Prep) had nine.
- Senior Grace Krumpack (Cincinnati, Ohio/Colerain) led the defense with 12 digs.
- Emory's Karissa Dzurik led all players with 12 kills, while Sydney Leimback had 10. Mady Arles posted a match-high 32 assists, and Leah Saunders led all players with 15 digs.
- Brandeis will meet either Case Western Reserve or Carnegie Mellon in the consolation bracket semifinals tonight at 6 p.m.
- Emory will face the winner of the CWRU/CMU match at 4 p.m. in the tournament semifinals.